Are you a plant killer? If so, don’t feel discouraged. Many people looking to add a touch of green to their homes end up on the “most wanted” list. Luckily for them (and perhaps you as well), plant killing isn’t a crime. Also, there are a few plants that can survive even the most neglectful of plant keepers. If you think that keeping houseplants healthy is out of your league, then give these hardy friends a chance to shine in your home.
Air Plants – Also known as Epiphytes, these plants derive most, if not all of the moisture and nutrients they need from the air. They can be put almost anywhere in your home, and are virtually indestructible. These plants don’t even need soil. At most, they’ll need a light mist every few months.
Succulents – These plants are known for their large, fleshy, unusual appearance. A common misconception about Succulents is that they are cacti. While it is true that most cacti are succulents, not all succulents are cacti. They are relatively cheap to purchase, and once rooted, can be a beautiful addition to your home. Given the abundance of varieties to choose from, odds are you’ll be able to find a succulent that complements any home style.
Aloe – Not only is aloe a succulent, it is one of only a few plants that can be kept for not only decorative purposes, but medicinal as well. The gel in aloe vera plants has been used for skin irritations, such as cuts and burns. The gel can also be processed into soaps.
Jade – Jade is also a succulent, and can be a beautiful addition to your home. Many jade plants are purchased as bonsai trees, and upkeep is minimal. While not as hardy as the other plants on the list, this is a good plant to take a shot at after you’ve managed to keep a few air plants and hardier succulents alive.
Golden Pothos – Not only is this plant incredibly hardy, it also qualifies as an “air scrubber”, removing toxins from the air in your home. Trimmings can easily be cultivated into plants, and the rate of growth can be incredibly fast. Care should be taken to avoid ingestion by pets and children.
Year after year, study after study, good market, down market the story is always the same…owning a home is a good investment. Not only does it build wealth but it also provides many psychological benefits too.
A survey released earlier this year by the magazine Better Homes and Gardens found that eight in 10 respondents said homeownership is still a good investment and believe owning a home is a smart financial move and a source of pride.
Here are some results of the 2,500 people surveyed online:
- 86% of home owners still feel owning a home is a good investment.
- 85% feel “owning a home is one of their proudest accomplishments.”
- 69% of Americans who don’t currently own a home agree with the statement, “No matter what happens in the U.S. housing market, owning a home is still an important goal in my life.”
- 68% of Americans plan to spend money on their homes in the next six months, with roughly half (49%) expecting to pay up to $1,000.
Cambridge MA Real EstateCambridge, MA - $950,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:31 hour agoCambridge, MA - $825,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:9 - Beds:5 - Baths:23 hours agoCambridge, MA - $1,075,000 - Condo - Townhouse - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/13 hours agoCambridge, MA - $519,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:23 hours agoCambridge, MA - $395,000 - Condo - Mid-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:13 hours ago
Somerville MA Real EstateSomerville, MA - $719,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:21 hour agoSomerville, MA - $399,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:22 hours agoSomerville, MA - $349,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoSomerville, MA - $419,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:23 hours agoSomerville, MA - $417,000 - Condo - Loft - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:13 hours ago
Arlington MA Real EstateArlington, MA - $1,595,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/12 hours agoArlington, MA - $418,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:12 hours agoArlington, MA - $583,800 - Single-Family - Victorian - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/12 hours agoArlington, MA - $419,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/14 hours agoArlington, MA - $350,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours ago
- Buying a Home
- Cambridge MA Real Estate
- Cambridge, MA 02139
- Green Living
- Harvard Square
- Help Around the House
- Home Buyer's Information
- Home Design
- Home Improvement Tips
- Home Improvements
- How's The Market
- Inman Square
- Market Trends
- Money Saving Tips
- Moving Checklist
- Moving Tips
- Open Houses
- RE/MAX News and Tips
- Real estate
- Real Estate Financing
- Real EState For Sale
- Selling Your Home
- Somerville MA Real Estate
- Somerville, MA 02143
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Special Real Estate Situations
- Tax Information
- To Your Health
- Union Square
- 2 UCSD Professors Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences April 23, 2014Two UC San Diego faculty members have been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, one of the nation's most prestigious honorary societies, which includes accomplished leaders from academe, business, public affairs, the humanities and the arts. […]
- Grants: Funder storm April 23, 2014Last May, Heidi Fisher feared that her career as an evolutionary geneticist might be over. […]
- Nobel laureate and presidential candidate Shechtman named to American Academy of Arts and Sciences April 23, 2014Shechtman was chosen among 204 new members, who include the world's most accomplished scholars, scientists, writers, corporate and philanthropic leaders. […]
- 2 UCSD Professors Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences April 23, 2014
- UMass Boston student arrested for allegedly calling in 2 bomb threats in past week April 23, 2014A senior at the University of Massachusetts Boston was ordered to be held on $20,000 bail today after he was charged with allegedly calling in two bomb threats at the campus in the past week, authorities said. […]
- The Fluffernutter is One Step Closer to Being State's Official Sandwich April 23, 2014By Liz Taurasi Will the Fluffernutter become Massachusetts' official state sandwich? It sure looks that way. […]
- Bay State liberals a tough crowd for ex-Sec. of State Clinton April 23, 2014Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton could be playing to a tough crowd today when she lands in "Liz country," where Bay State party liberals are already swooning over U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, political observers said. […]
- UMass Boston student arrested for allegedly calling in 2 bomb threats in past week April 23, 2014
- Bilingual Nursery School Coming to East Arlington April 23, 2014After 11 years as an EEC-licensed home childcare, Casa Esme is moving into Dagg's old space at 152 Mass. […]
- U.S. Patents Awarded to Inventors in Massachusetts April 18, 2014Targeted News Service Targeted News Service ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 18 -- The following federal patents were awarded to inventors in Massachusetts. […]
- Ciclismo Classico to host photo and wine tour of northwest Argentina April 16, 2014Adventurous photographers are invited to take a nine-day hike through steaming jungles and up to the high mountain ranges of northwest Argentina. […]
- Bilingual Nursery School Coming to East Arlington April 23, 2014