There are so many things to think of when buying a home. It can be difficult to think of everything when you are house shopping. When you tour potential homes it can be easy to get caught up in things that may not be as important after you move in like storage, parking, and privacy.
When home shopping you should make a checklist of the things you must have in a home so you don’t get caught up in the new granite countertops or the beautifully decorated master bedroom. Think function over style when making a buying decision.
Here are some things you may want to consider putting on your must-have list.
When walking through a home make sure to make note of the amount of storage. A good staging job can disguise a home with too little storage. Imagine the home with no furniture and picture your furniture and belongings in place. If you are seriously interested in the home bring a sketch pad and measure the rooms and draw a quick sketch of walls, doors, windows and closets.
Consider the location of the home to places you frequently travel. You may only be a few miles from the store or work but what is the commute like? Do a practice run at rush hour from the home to your work. If you are moving near public transportation give that a try too. Make sure to try the commute both ways.
Enough Power and Water Imagine waking up the first morning in your new home and finding out the water pressure is barely enough for a shower or the water gets cold half way through. It is important to determine if the plumbing and wiring can accommodate your lifestyle. Check the size of the hot water tank and run a few plumbing items at a time to check the water pressure. Talk to your home inspector about the electrical system. Make sure the home inspector knows the kinds of electrical equipment you run and the number of people that will be living in the home.
Many buyers overlook privacy until it’s too late. Try to spend some time in the house. Look out the bathroom and bedroom windows and test what you see. Do a walk-through of the home and pretend to go through your day. Sit in the back yard and on the deck to see and listen to the neighbors.
You may think buying a short sale is a good deal and many times it can be a good option. Short sales can also be fraught with complications and often can easily fall apart. Here is a list of things to be aware of so your short sale doesn’t become a long shot.
• When a house is placed for sale as a short sale the owner doesn’t always have the authority to sell the house at the advertised price. The owner hopes the bank will accept that price as a short sale.
• The negotiating process is far different than a regular sale. You often will first negotiate with a seller but remember the bank has the final say-so.
• You are making an offer to purchase blind because many lenders will not even discuss a short sale with a seller until a purchase contract is in place. There is no guarantee the lender will even accept a short-sale offer.
• Short sales often are not short at all. They can be long, drawn-out affairs. Be prepared for it to take months.
• Even though the lender may have taken their time on the short sale approval, once approved the lender often require the sale to close within a short period of time.
Due to the way many short sales happen, a buyer may have to put out money for a home inspection, appraisal, credit report and application fees paid to their lender and the sale may not even happen. So while short sales can often be a good deal they can also be a long shot. Take your time, do your research and be sure to work with a real estate professional to help guide you through the potential pitfalls of a short sale.
Cambridge MA Real EstateCambridge, MA - $3,500 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/135 minutes agoCambridge, MA - $719,900 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/136 minutes agoCambridge, MA - $495,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoCambridge, MA - $2,750 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:14 hours agoCambridge, MA - $3,000 - Commercial - Year Built:9999 - Acres:0.238 hours ago
Somerville MA Real EstateSomerville, MA - $2,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:0.182 hours agoSomerville, MA - $419,000 - Condo - 2/3 Family - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:14 hours agoSomerville, MA - $899,000 - Single-Family - Gambrel - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/18 hours agoSomerville, MA - $1,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/18 hours agoSomerville, MA - $3,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/18 hours ago
Arlington MA Real EstateArlington, MA - $2,550 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:22 hours agoArlington, MA - $2,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Arlington, MA - $4,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:11 - Beds:5 - Baths:2/2Arlington, MA - $975,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Arlington, MA - $559,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1
- Buying a Home
- Cambridge MA Real Estate
- Cambridge, MA 02139
- Green Living
- Harvard Square
- Help Around the House
- Home Buyer's Information
- Home Design
- Home Improvement Tips
- Home Improvements
- How's The Market
- Inman Square
- Market Trends
- Money Saving Tips
- Moving Checklist
- Moving Tips
- Open Houses
- RE/MAX News and Tips
- Real estate
- Real Estate Financing
- Real EState For Sale
- Selling Your Home
- Somerville MA Real Estate
- Somerville, MA 02143
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Somerville, MA 02145
- Special Real Estate Situations
- Tax Information
- To Your Health
- Union Square
- GoLocalWorcester | Lifestyle | College Admissions: 8 Things They Won't Tell You in Freshman Orientation September 1, 2014As families pack suitcases and head off to the first week of college, there is a whirl of excitement. […]
- Breaking Beautiful - The Useful Mechanism In Patterns Of Cracks August 31, 2014High resolution photograph of cracks in thin layer of glass atop a silicon wafer. […]
- Billerica's next Town Meeting debate: eliminating Town Meeting August 31, 2014Selectman George Simolaris has filed a warrant article to explore options for transitioning away from a Town Meeting form of government, one he feels no longer represents the town's best interests. […]
- GoLocalWorcester | Lifestyle | College Admissions: 8 Things They Won't Tell You in Freshman Orientation September 1, 2014
- Union Square is hipster central August 30, 2014Move over, Cambridge. These days, anyone seeking a countercultural adventure comes to Somerville. […]
- Aram Boghosian for The Boston Globe Innovation EconomyIn Somerville,... August 29, 2014The Somerville company had grown to about 600 employees in the mid-20th century, making sturdy envelopes, boxes, and file folders for medical records. […]
- Guide to Boston's startup scene, brainchild of NextView founder Rob Go, to launch in September August 28, 2014The Boston Tech Guide, a website aimed at curating content related to Boston's tech startup scene and the brainchild of venture capitalist Rob Go, is set to launch by the end of September. […]
- Union Square is hipster central August 30, 2014
- Latest Homes for Sale in Arlington August 30, 2014After all the games and celebrations, Jaheim Benton came home to being homeless. […]
- Arlington Man Arrested on Child Porn Charges August 29, 2014Arlington Police, the Massachusetts State Police and the Attorney General's office traced an alleged child pornographer through his social media accounts. […]
- Classes, classes, classes! New Mom Support Groups and Child Development at Magic Beans August 28, 2014It's a cliche, but it's true: it takes a village to raise a child, and even the most confident new parents need reassurance, support, and advice when they're just starting out. […]
- Latest Homes for Sale in Arlington August 30, 2014